Saturday 17 July 2010

On a whim...

I decided to set my search parameters a little south of the border on the dating website, just to see what's out there. It is only a bit over an hour's drive from Winnipeg to the US border, so in all reality, there are potential dates waiting just across the border.

And seeing as how things up here in Canada have been stagnant for quite some time, or just downright silly, I figured 'what the hell... give it a whirl and see what comes up on the radar.'

So I set the distance at 50 miles around Grand Forks, North Dakota (which is just over an hour south of the border). That's the state right below Manitoba, and Grand Forks is the closest city of any size. I was not disappointed.

There are lots of men who fall meet my basic requirements living a stone's throw across the border. I've even marked one as a favourite to check out again and perhaps email to see if we can get a conversation started.

(Now I know you are all saying, but what about Mr Recent Past? Yes, he is still around, but nothing much is happening there so I am not holding my breath. If he wants to see me, he's gonna have to step up to the plate. Despite getting along just fine, that hasn't happened much yet, so perhaps he's not really that into me. Whatever....)

So the Man of Interest seems to be more of a country kinda guy (even has horses... that seems to be right up my alley, doesn't it!) but also has a professional career and a formal education, and even better, he has a very good command of the English language (as evidenced by his humorous and well written profile). All that means something to me, so now it will be to see if there is any mutual interest. And, just as important, if he is willing to make a go of things with the distance factor involved if we seem to hit it off. I'm at the point where I have nothing to lose, so why not? I'm certainly not finding what I want or need close to home.

Of course, I haven't even contacted him yet, so all this may be totally moot.

But one thing I did notice on the profiles from ND is that more men put divorced than occurs up here. Way too many guys put single up here, even if they were married and are now divorced or even just separated. That bugs me, cuz it ain't true. Just say it like it is, already!

Anyway, it's been fun cruising through profiles down there. I have no idea if anything will come of this at all, but you never know until you try, right?

9 comments:

  1. Right on missus! Never rule out foreigners!
    (You never know, some of 'em could be Irish, or Scottish even!) :¬)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Map: I figured I had better expand my horizons... the view up here is pretty limited. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll notice that everyone from ND talks like the characters in Fargo! Ya. :)


    This is my personal classification system:

    married = married, separated, de facto, engaged

    single = single, divorced, widowed

    ReplyDelete
  4. XL: So do a good portion of the people on this side of the border!!! Guess I won't have a problem understanding anyone then, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful. I'm sure many American men would woo you just to get their claws into the superior health care in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UB: That I am aware of, and will be wary of, but thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soldier on, Intrepid Warrior! Cupid can't remain in a stupor forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonas: I don't know about that... it's been years since he took aim at anyone looking in my direction...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How odd. I met a fellow on LibraryThing a couple days ago from Fargo—an attorney—and he didn't have an accent at all. His name is Patrick (Irish?), he writes intelligently . . . and since when am I a Matchmaker?

    ReplyDelete

So you have something to say about all this, do you?
Well, let's hear it, then!